So it’s February and love is in the air! This month provides a great opportunity to show your team some love and appreciation. You probably know this, but just in case you don’t: studies and statistics show that up to 85% of employees are not happy or satisfied in their jobs. As staggering and unsettling as that is, the good news is that it can be a relatively easy fix…
Most employees say that they do not feel appreciated or valued and that leads to job dissatisfaction! What can you do for your team to make sure they feel appreciated?
Here are 5 simple and cost effective ideas to show your team love:
- Schedule quarterly instead of annual reviews: this gives you the boss, and your employees an opportunity to stay on top of goals. It also gives you an opportunity — 4 times a year — to congratulate and compliment your employees for a job well done. And of course it gives you plenty of opportunity to course correct if goals and objectives are not being met.
- Highlight employees in a special video: A group I know once did a Valentine’s Day video that was sent out to all of their members about how much the employees loved their jobs. The group was a non profit that helps women business owners, but this can be done with your team members telling your customers why they love their jobs. One question was asked and each employee responded: What I love most about working with our members/clients is: ______________. The result was a very interesting and heartfelt video with clips of each employee smiling and telling stories about their clients and their job. It was wonderful! And oh so easy to replicate because you could tell it was made right there at the office with a video camera.
- Recognize employees in your newsletter or in your social media: Interview the employee who has been with you the longest. Ask them to highlight how their job and the company has changed over the years. Be sure to ask them why they have stayed with you. Recognize birthday celebrations or other special occasion celebrations in your social media.
- Gifts and gift cards are always a great idea! How about a small gift representing a monthly theme? Pinterest is full of ideas you can use and adapt to fit your company culture. One company I know gives scratch off lottery tickets to all employees in celebration of the Chinese New Year.
- Food! Offer a monthly lunch or afternoon snack. Set up the room so that it’s buffet style and watch relationships and camaraderie develop. Can you make this a monthly occurrence? How about a monthly potluck lunch? The point is to get everyone together so you can build some team spirit and break the “us” and “them” effect.
Check out this worksheet for five languages of appreciation in the workspace.
Check out this audio for five languages of appreciation summary and ideas.
Not a member? Click here to register for FREE for WBE’s
Over to you? How do you show your team appreciation?
Let me know how it goes.